CPL signal aspects

Wed Feb 27 02:55:21 EST 2008

In the case of a CPL signal aspect in which one of the "arms" is flashing (as in "Diverging Approach Diverging": red over flashing 45 degrees), what is the rate at which the lights flash? That is, how much time elapses from the time when the lights just start to burn on one cycle, until they just come on again for the next cycle? I'm guessing its a couple seconds, but never having seen this indication, I want to get the facts straight. Also, what is the "duty cycle" for this type of flashing, i.e. how long are the lights on during a cycle compared to how long they are off during the cycle? First assumption would be that they are on exactly the same amount of time that they are off and therefore 1/2 of the cycle time, but again I'm hoping that someone out there has the real data. And by the by, where would be a good place to observe a CPL signal displaying this aspect? I am trying to get photos of CPL signals (while they last) displaying all the aspects, but for this one it will have to be video.
Thanks,

Jim Cochran

dcochran116 at roadrunner.com