1908 - Virginia Lands for Colonies

Mon Mar 3 22:43:20 EST 2008

Roanoke Times - March 3, 1908

VIRGINIA LANDS FOR COLONIES

People From All Parts of the World Settling on the N. & W. Railway

The following dispatch has been sent out from South Boston, Va.,
which indicates that the Norfolk and Western is doing much work in
the way of colonization:
"Messrs. W. D. Hill and R. Holt Easely, real estate agents of this
place, sold 5,500 acres of land in North Carolina to a syndicate of
Western New York men a few days ago for the sum of $41,000. The
purchase will at once be divided into small tracts for colonization,
and as the land is especially adapted to trucking purposes, no doubt
it will be thus used.
"Messrs. Easley and Hill spend a great deal of their time in the
North on this class of work, and other colonization work in the
South. Mr. Hill reports the sale of farm lands from his South Boston
(home) office since the 1st of January, 1908, amounting to $100,000."
Relative to the above Mr. F. H. LaBaume, agent of the Agricultural
and Industrial Department of the Norfolk & Western was seen by a Time
reporter and learned that not only at South Boston, but in other
places, the same plan is being pursued and with wonder results.
At Waverly on a tract of three thousand acres, known as "Oakdale,"
about forty settlers are already installed in new homes. The settlers
came from all parts of the United States.
The policy has been to construct there or four room cottages on
several acres of land which are sold to actual settlers for $50 cash
and the balance is paid for as it is made on the farms.
At Dispertanta, on the Norfolk & Western, is a colony of Russian
Jews, who settled there something over a year ago. It is known as the
"Yale Colony" and they have 2,000 acres of land. These Jews came here
direct from Russia, and were entirely ignorant of the customs of this
country. They have their schools and house of worship and are
developing into good citizens.
At Ford, near Petersburg, is another colony which is begin settled
by Chicago Germans. They have about 3,000 acres in this colony. Four
or five of these small farms were sold to settlers during the past
week. Following is a letter written to Mr. LaBaume by a Connecticut
settler under date of November 15, 1907. It speaks for itself:
"Dear Sir - I thought I would write you these few lines and let
you know how well pleased we are with our little farm in Oakdale. We
came here in April this year and bought Farm No 42 right in the heart
of the woods and had to clear a way to build my house, which is now
about completed. Have sold my timber for just what I paid for the
farm; so you see my place hasn't cost us anything. We have between 50
and 60 head of chickens and Pekin ducks, 2 pigs, 1 horse and
incubator. Will build a brooder house this fall, 26x10 feet, with
cellar 10 feet square on one end. The climate is fine and I have
gained about 15 pounds since I came here and our health is excellent.
One doesn't have to call the doctor every few days here, like we did
in the North. More than twenty-five families here now and there
hasn't been a doctor on the tract this year. Don't forget to come and
see us next time you are in Waverly and we will try and make it
pleasant for you."

- Ron Davis, Roger Link