David Flickwir and the Tunkhannock Viaduct ?

Sun Mar 9 12:09:12 EDT 2008

Concerning my post yesterday on David Flickwir...

It develops that a friend of mine, who is with the FRA in Washington, married a lady who was related to David Flickwir, and he provided a few details on Flickwir and a link to a one page article published in the 2005 number of _Jefferson Chronicle_, the alumni magazine of Jefferson College of Health Sciences:

http://www.jchs.edu/images/chronicle/2-2005.pdf

Flickwir left the N&W in 1910 to form, with one Nelson Bush, an engineering and contracting company, Flickwir and Bush, Incorporated. That firm apparently "built" (or was involved in building) both the New Jersey Cut Off and the great Tunkhannock Viaduct of the Lackawanna Railroad, 1911-1915.

Flickwir's mansion (built 1906) was at 903 S. Jefferson Street, Roanoke, and apparently still stands, being known now as the "Fralin House" of the Jefferson College of Health Sciences. (Why not the "Flickwir House," since David Flickwir was a great benefactor of the Roanoke Hospital ?)

After the death of Flickwir's first wife, Charlotte, he married Mildred Elder, who had been Charlotte's nurse. Sosme time after Flickwir's death in 1935, Mildred Elder Flickwir Young (notice she acquired a new surname) lived in a suite at Hotel Roanoke until her own death in 1991. Neither Flickwir nor Mildred had children.

Flickwir's antecedents apparently arrived here from the Palatinate (the low lands of Germany) in 1777, and settled near Chester, Pa.

Does anyone possess an old copy of _Who's Who in Railroading_ (which was published in may years post-1930) or it's predecessor publication, _Biographical Directory of Railway Officials in America_ (which was published in 1885, 1887, 1893, 1896, 1901, 1906, 1913 and 1922) ? If so, would you please post the entry for David Flickwir?

Can anyone find Flickwir's obit in the Roanoke paper, and post it here?

Finally, I've run several of those "white pages" and "people finder" search engines for the name Flickwir. Only about 80 Flickwirs were found in the United States today, most of them in Calfirnia, a few in Illinois, and none in Virginia or Pennsylvania.

I've done my part. It's now up to Aitch and J.B.B. and K.L.M. to carry the flag for a while...

-- abram burnett