N&W in 1903 -- Passenger Train Wrecked - Hardy

Sun Mar 9 16:36:40 EDT 2008

Abram,

Your message may answer a question that I posed earlier about pusher engines at Oakvale, WV. My January 2, 2008, message, "N&W in 1903 -- Oakvale" referred to a Bluefield Daily Telegraph article that mentioned one "J. W. Cole who watches engines for the Norfolk and Western at Oakvale [WV]." I speculated in that message that the N&W may have had pusher engines based at Oakvale in 1903. Your mention of pusher engines between Hardy and Bluefield is the first indication that there may have been pusher engines based at Oakvale because Hardy apparently was located only three or so miles west of Oakvale, where there might have been sidings and some water and coal for pusher engines.

Any comments?

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2008 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: N&W in 1903 -- Passenger Train Wrecked - Hardy

Hardy was, until some time after 1906, the east end of the Double Track extending eastward from Bluefield. It was a Train Order Office (telegraph call "NW") and was apparently quite a place for railroad logjams.

The old time tables contain a number of Special Instructions involving Hardy, viz. extra trains proceeding eastward from Bluefield to Hardy with out Train Orders, all trains approaching Hardy under "full control," the operation of pusher engines between Hardy and Bluefield, &c.

In the 1960s, the location of Hardy could be determined by a ramshackle old building on the south side of the tracks, called "Hoot Owl School House." Obviously, it had at one time served as a small school.

Sorry to be so long in replying to this January 28th post, but I've been playing catch up...

-- abram burnett