Dry Branch Virginia

Sun Mar 9 18:55:42 EDT 2008

Gentlemen,

Good photo of Dry Branch. That house was known as the old Page house. Leonard Scott, (my great grandfather) who named the Arrow, lived another 1/4 mile past there in the section house on the "mountain" side of the tracks. And all the old timetables I've seen still showed Dry Branch as a flag stop. Don't know when that might have ended. Dorothy Hypes still had a flag there at her house before she passed on a few years ago. I grew up right beside the tracks, just out of frame behind where the caboose is in the photo.

Vince Albert.> > Message: 2> Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 21:02:24 -0500> From: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org>> Subject: Re: Dry Branch Virginia> To: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org>> Message-ID: <47D34530.5000709 at vt.edu>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed> > Chuck,> Checking the N&W photos at VT turned up one decent view of the twin > water tanks at Dry Branch with a house across the tracks from the tanks > (river side).> > http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns3087.jpeg> > - Roger Link> > NW Mailing List wrote:> > Greetings,> > I'm trying to find some information and pictures relating to the > > operations at Dry Branch Va. I live in what I've been told was a converted railroad > > structure next to a water tank here. In fact my deed dated 1915 has deeded > > access to the "spring across the tracks" but those tracks have been a gravel road > > for as far back as anyone locally can recall. To be sure it's a great location > > for train watching but I'm curious as to an early R.R. connection. Any > > suggestions would be most appreciated. > > Thanks,> > Chuck > >