ICC Valuation maps and National Archives

Thu Mar 13 15:50:51 EDT 2008

With regard to the ICC valuation Maps at the National
Archives: I have been there, and only live about 25
miles away as a matter of fact and have had copied a
bunch of maps, including several from the N&W
Shenandoah Valley line and around Roanoke along with
my principal research project which is the B&O's
planned and never completed Valley RR to Salem.

The last time I was there, which was last Summer,
copies of a map typically cost $13.50 EACH and you
were limited to NO more than 10 maps per day. Many if
not most of the maps cover about 2 miles of railroad,
so you can do the math of cost and time for maps.

All this is predicated upon their copier being
working, a situation which occurred far too frequently
for me to understand and the thing was out of order
for weeks at a time.

I can help get you more precise information if you
like but please remember as to costs that what I have
given is only an approximation as they charge based on
the size and I gave the most frequent map size.

Whenever, If you decide to come to the National
Archives, and especially if you are coming a long
distance, a lot of planning ahead will be in order as
well as an early start each day, especially the first
day when you'll have to fill out forms, register, get
photographed, etc. It's not difficult, just time
consuming and, of course is absolutely necessary.

I wouldn't mind being a "correspondent" for people and
get copies, etc., except for the obvious limitations
of the quantities one person can get on a daily basis,
not to mention the fact I don't have an unlimited
amount of leave I can take from work, something which
we all have a problem with. With those numbers in mind
as an example, just the Shenandoah Valley line from
Hagerstown to Roanoke is a 2+ week job, for one
person.

This is just the most brief of outlines of what is
entailed for the maps and I haven't even begun to tell
you about the photographs they have, which have
similar limitations and I don't know what the
photographic copies may cost.

Bob Cohen

Message: 5