N&W vs. Tidewater in 1904

Sun Mar 16 16:09:03 EDT 2008

Thank you, Gordon, for your excellent footnote to the 3/16/1904 article from Bluefield Telegraph. Your footnote indicated where the "Gish Farm" was located. As I read the newspaper article, that was my question, but you gave a pronto answer. I guess you know that Vinton was originally known as Gish's Mill, and this led me to speculate that the "Gish Farm" may have been closer to Vinton. (Gish, believe it or not, is a German surname, most likely Anglicised.)

Job well done, Gordo ! Keep up the good work.

I looked through the on-line White Pages and found the phone book still lists six Gishes in Roanoke and one in Vinton.

-- abram burnett