FM Trainmasters

Mon Mar 17 16:49:42 EDT 2008

Bruce: I think you are making an assumption that documentation exists that
would prove/disprove, illuminate or otherwise describe that a decision was
made- in writing- to save something or other, and that someone either
executed the orders or didn't! Then you are assuming that such documents
could be fond in a complete form to describe the history of the 'event'
accurately.

Ain't necessarily so... Just because something didn't happen doesn't mean
that a conspiracy and a cover-up occurred.

Also, a trainmaster with trucks and traction motors, especially the beefy
ones, had to represent a significant value to a slug-building program. The
frame and trucks are all wired and probably close to -ready-to-go- so the
shop forces would probably make a strong case for utilizing what was readily
available and already paid for and depreciated.

Remember that for years -and one can still find reference to it today- the
N&W Class A and Y tests against the EMD F-7's are considered by some to be
tainted as the N&W 'secretly' changed the steam valves and weighted the
frame. Lots of internet website post that the tractive effort reported by
the N&W is a lie. What would the N&W gain by covering up what the true
tractive effort of its locomotives? Louis Newton wrote an article for
TRAINS ( in the mid 1990's I think) that described the tests and the N&W's
business decisions based on the results. There was no 'competiton' just
measurements that could be used by the N&W to justify or not justify the
costs of procuring diesels.

Gary Rolih

Secretary N&WHS

_____