FM Trainmasters

Mon Mar 17 22:03:18 EDT 2008

Bruce,

Thanks for your inquiry which has brought forth a very interesting discussion.

Let me start by saying that the info I presented was definitely not from memory, nor from railroad records, but gleaned from the July and August, 1976 issues of Roanoke Chapter's newsletter "Turntable Times". Therefore, I do not have any specific records, other than a simple list of TM numbers and their corresponding slug numbers.

I do remember the rumors of the day that floated around concerning the "deliberate" non-action toward saving the 173, and I personally would not rule that out. I just don't think we will ever see any "smoking gun" documentation.

In a later post, I appreciate the further clarification by Robb Fisher regarding specific dates of the program, numbers, classes, etc. Robb, you obviously have much more specific info than I do. I did find a note in my records that the 173 wasn't converted until 1981, which you verified for me.

Jeff Sanders

Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2008 10:49 PM
Subject: Re: FM Trainmasters