Churchill Home

Wed Mar 26 22:26:26 EDT 2008

The N&W Annual Reports list Charles S. Churchill with the following titles:
1913 Chief Engineer
1914 - 1917 Asst. to President
1918 - 1926 Vice President
1926 - Retired Sep. 30, 1926

The mention of his home at Mountain Ave. and Orchard Hill St. brings back old memories. In its day the two-block long Orchard Hill was the Nob Hill of Roanoke where bank presidents and railroad officials had homes. When I first came to Roanoke, after Orchard Hill had passed its prime, I stayed in a boarding house in one of the grand old homes on that short street. This house was at Highland Ave. and Orchard Hill St., just a block from Churchill's former home, but I knew nothing about most of the former residents. Orchard Hill St. only extended about two blocks from Elm Ave. to just south of Highland Ave. and the street and the grand old homes are gone now. First, Community Hospital was built on the former location of Orchard Hill St. between Elm Ave. and Mountain Ave., and later the hospital took the remaining part of Orchard Hill St. for a parking area.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:34 PM
Subject: Churchill Home

Mmm... Doesn't the article say CS Churchill, VP of the N&W?

Rodney

Message: 3