White and Black Smoke

Sat Mar 29 18:54:17 EDT 2008

I remember reading somewhere that the railroads could be fined if they
produced excessive black smoke in populated areas; a "smoke density" chart
was used to gauge the extent of the violation. Does anybody know more about
how that worked or any stories of "repeat offenders"? I remember reading
somewhere that you never wanted to leave Roanoke past the N&W office
buildings with black smoke because you might get spotted by the president of
the N&W and really catch an earful.

Mike Weeks

Charlotte, NC