White and Black Smoke

Mon Mar 31 12:15:06 EDT 2008

"Some examples....

UP 8444 shows proper steaming technique, as she rolls her train thru Hondo
TX at track speed...
NW 611, shows a "clear stack" as well..

A lot of the smoke you see on rail fan videos, is "theatric smoke", that is
put on for the benefit of the fans, many of whom tend to EXPECT it.

Remember one of the conditions, that was placed apon O Winston Link, about
taking photographs of locomotives, showing "excessive black smoke" "

In fact, one individual upon looking at a 20 x24" black and white
enlargement that I was selling at a railroad show with the 610 on the
Cavalier at Coal Grove on an April morning in 1949, exclaimed that, 'The
locomotive must be a diesel as there was no smoke!"

I took some time explaining the combustion of coal, lean and rich fires, and
the duties of a fireman on a steam locomotive.

Gary Rolih
Cincinnati