White and Black Smoke

Mon Mar 31 17:31:37 EDT 2008

When I looked up the newspaper articles about the last N&W steam operations in Hagerstown, MD I found a quote from an official which said "They won't have us to blame for black smoke anymore." Railroads weren't the only businesses which could be cited by the state of Maryland for excessive smoke. The company I worked for still had two 1917 vintage coal fired boilers in the 1980's. It took a forced draft to operate these things especially when they were stoked with fresh coal. One cold winter day the superintendent ordered the fireman not to run the blowers, and the company was prompty cited for a certain density of black smoke. These boilers were hand fired, and in the severe winter of 1977 they burned 19 tons a day at least once.

Rick Morrison