N&W coach in Hopewell destroyed

Sun Apr 13 12:45:33 EDT 2008

Such a shame, I worked by the coach back in January and thought it was odd that the doors where open and you could walk right thru it, it looked like bums had been living in it for a while, sad another piece of NW history lost due to negligence.

Gary Price
Keeping the ole' N&W safe.. one tie at a time.

I was just in Hopewell tonight for the Model RR club meeting and
looked over under sixth street bridge to glance at the N&W coach and
noticed that it had ben completely burned out! The fire was apparently
so hot that the roof was collapsed. The car was donated to a group in
Petersburg headed by Dick Whiting. They eventually got Jack Showalter
who ran the Virginia Central to take the car and put it into service
on his excursion train in Staunton.
However the car would not pass interchange inspection due to a cracked
sideframe. So it sat in the CSX yard for years until it was recently
moved back to NS. Some vandals set it on fire a few days ago. Now its
only good for scrap!

Walt