Glen Jean in Ohio

Thu May 15 12:11:04 EDT 2008

Yes, Glen Jean was just to the compass north of Gregg's Hill and across the
Scioto River from Waverly. At Glen Jean was a tower controlling the DT&I
connection to the N&W.

At Gregg's Hill the C&O Northern, the N&W and the now abandoned DT&I
paralleled each other for a short while. The N&W curved northwest to the
river and its bridge, the DT&I ducked under the C&O and originally
paralleled the N&W to its own bridge just upriver from the N&W (washed out
for the last time in the 1913 flood- trackage rights across the N&W bridge
after that). The C&O proceeds northward along the east bank of the Scioto
River up to Chillicothe, Ohio.

This area at Gregg's Hill can be easily reached from the south edge of
Waverly from the old DT&I yard in Waverly, now mostly abandoned. The DT&I
station/office/freight house in Waverly has been torn down for a few years.
At Gregg's Hill, the old DT&I right of way and its underpass of the C&O can
readily be found. The C&O bridge and N&W bridge over route 335 ( I think it
is) are easy to find.

This is a good spot to find on your drive up to the 2008 Convention in
Marion this year. God location for photography, especially in the afternoon
light.

Gary Rolih
Secretary N&WHS