question on Pullman operations

Thu May 15 21:48:41 EDT 2008

Pullman shops did the maintenance, and they followed N&W specs in painting the cars. And, yes, the roofs were brown! Jim Nichols
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 1:25 PM
Subject: question on Pullman operations

When ownership of Pullman sleeping cars went to the railroads, it is my understanding that the majority of roads leased the cars back to Pullman for operation. Is it also true that Pullman's shops in various locations did the maintenance on the cars? I know we always argue about whether N&W cars have brown roofs, but the books with paint data for the Pullman Company list N&W cars as having brown roofs. That said, it would be logical that Pullman would follow that data if they painted the cars.

I read somewhere that railroads kept tabs on things, and notified Pullman when cars needed paint.

Would like to hear from anyone who could shed light on this.

--Rick Morrison