The Powhatan Arrow

Sat May 17 09:35:09 EDT 2008

I recall dome cars going thru IRONTON - COAL GROVE, OHIO, but do not recall what train. Things were happening as passenger opns were being scaled down. It was stated that the domes were being used as stated, "a good faith effort to show NW trying to promote passenger service, too little, to late.

BUT IT WAS IMPRESSIVE TO SEE THESE CARS RUNNING HERE IN THE OUTBACK.

Having chartered the UP Dome from the Huntington C&O Historical Society to run on AMTRAK to WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS on a Sunday outing for customers and staff I know first hand what a wonderful experience these cars make for a touring trip thru the WV mountains.

Oakie G Ford
IRONTON, OH

Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2008 8:05 AM
Subject: Re: The Powhatan Arrow

Jeff

Thanks for the info. It has been about 60 years ago that I used to watch the trains in Bluefield
and sometimes things get away from me. I couldn't remember for sure about the dome cars.
I just could not recall ever seeing a dome car with the Powhatan Arrow. Thanks again...

Jack Tibbs
Martinsville, Va.
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 9:23 AM

The N&W had no dome cars until the merger with the Wabash, long after the end of steam. Those Wabash dome cars were painted blue, as were essentially all N&W passenger cars and locomotives after the merger. Most of the N&W dome cars I have seen in O (Lionel?) depict a full-length dome, which never was in the inventory until one came from Conrail after the recent split with CSX and was repainted from Conrail olive to NS (N&W match) maroon.
An excellent reference is the website http://www.trainweb.org/web_lurker/WebLurkersDOMEmain/ which has available information on all flavors of prototype dome cars.
There were a few cases of dome cars in fan trip service behind the 611, including one full-length dome in Milwaukee orange and probably the Virginia Rail Investment Program dome car which I can't find a link to at the moment.

Jeff Cornelius