N&W RS-11 #386 - Wot' Happened ?

Wed May 28 20:48:38 EDT 2008

Tomasso & Pasquali:
I called Vlad about your question.  He didn't have much time to talk, as he was packing for a trip to Odessa on the Black Sea, but did say he knows of no books having been published on this line.
I checked Burgess & Kennedy's Centennial History of the PRR (1945,) and the only mention of the line you are interested in (the Philadelphia & Long Branch) is on p. 555, viz. that in 1917 it was consolidated with two other smaller railroads to become the "Pennsylvania & Atlantic RR."  The 1945 CT-1000 shows it as the Pennsylvania & Atlantic RR, operated by the Atlantic Division at that time.  Back about 1982, I rode with a 1940-hire Atlantic Division engineman, Harold Munck (a.k.a. "Harry Monk,") who had worked that line.  Harry said the power was all Atlantics and Consolidations, and that the east end had been washed out by a big storm around 1947 or 1948.
We're all spoiled by the huge amount of information that is available on the N&W.  To show you how good we have it, just try to find out anything about the Wabash Railroad !
-- abram burnett