[steam_tech] Re: TRAINS.com latest- can steam make a comeback?

Thu May 29 11:18:42 EDT 2008

My focus is on the bottom-line realities of hauling heavy trains at high speeds. There is a genuine economic function for them, currently precluded by the high costs of diesels. Not only do they improve customer service, but they make the physical plant and rolling stock more productive.

Let's see if 1218 can do 60 mph or more with a 7500 ton train, as the Class A has been reported to do since an early test, and numerous times since then.

Then let's see what three SD70s can do with such a train. (And also whether its trucks and motors that do enhance low speed performance do anything at speed.)

Then let us compare the costs, capital and operating, at present levels.
Then it will be simple arithmetic to plug in increased costs on the way, if not so simple to anticipate just what they will be.

It will not be so simple to anticipate what boiler, exhaust, and valve improvements might do, but I understand they are considerable.

What will it take to get 1218 back in running shape again?