Steam

Thu May 29 17:21:13 EDT 2008

Sounds about right. However, below that speed point, the drawbar HP
of the 1.6 SDs will begin to exceed that of the A because the A's
engines can't absorb all the HP that the boiler is producing, whereas
the traction motors of the SDs will be able to absorb all the
electric energy that the Diesel engines can produce down to a pretty
low speed. (At starting, 1.6 SDs will exert well over 160,000 lbs
tractive effort v. the 115,000 of the A.) The modern 6-axle Diesel,
particularly, with AC drive, is the ultimate "drag" engine ever.
(I've heard that AC loco powered coal drags in Wyoming sometimes
climb grades at three mph!) The modern steam loco is a good
speedster - whatever it can start, it can move at a pretty good
clip. I read somewhere that it took 3 GP 7s(?) to replace one NKP
Berkshire in fast freight service on a relatively flat RR, which
makes sense because the HP is about the same for both set-ups.

Since a steam engine is a constant torque engine (within limits), the
drawbar HP will drop as the loco speed drops below the maximum HP
speed (where the engine is converting to tractive effort all the
steam that the boiler can produce). Due to "breathing" constraints,
the steam engine will also be unable to absorb all the HP that the
boiler can produce above a certain speed. I've read somewhere that
TE begins to drop when steam engine piston speed exceeds 400 feet per
minute, but I'd have to think that's empirical. Improved valving and
steam pipe design would obviously make a difference here. (cf,
Chapelon and Porta.)

Note that a steam loco produces its maximum horsepower at one speed.
An electric loco or a loco with an electric (or hydraulic)
transmission can deliver its maximum HP to the rail over a fairly
broad speed range. In automotive terms, a steam loco is like a car
with a single gear; a Diesel loco is like a car with an automatic
tranny.

Nevertheless, I still fantasize about a double 2-10-2 Beyer-Garratt
with a boiler based on that of a VGN AG, with all modern
conveniences, such as computer-controlled poppet valves, etc., maybe
1 HP and 2 LP compound cylinders on each engine.

Finally, I'm more impressed by the performance of the late Ys. The A
is a good textbook design, but who could have imagined the
performance improvements that N&W was able to make over the years in
the USRA 2-8-8-2??

pete groom