Williamson to Portsmouth A s

Thu May 29 21:02:47 EDT 2008

Yes, I agree that if steam ever does make a comeback, I seriously doubt it will be in the form of a recripocating steam locomotive.
Personally, I don't ever expect to see 611, 1218, or any other steam locomotive ever run on NS rails again. I would be shocked if they did.

Ben Blevins

Road mileage is less than 90 miles so where did they take a brake on the
four hour trip (not including watering somewhere along the way?

Just musing about this and realizing that 20 plus mph for a coal drag of 250
cars (mid fifties w/lots of non rolling bearing cars was a damn good result
even if it was a prevailing downhill drag. I can honestly say that at Coal
Grove I've watch thousands of these drags work their way west, and loved
every second of the passing; day or night - Grandparents lived on US 52
adjacent to R of W overlooking the Ice Creek bridge.The night was the best
just to listen to the coming burst of overwhelming sound and the rail
colicky - clack of 250 cars, great sleep sound.

Now 65 years later this discussion does really add to the memory, to
understand tech facts underlying what it took to create this great piece of
world history (the foundation of this part of world civilization's
transition to the industrial/eco system of what we thought was the
outstanding level we were living at in those decades. Surprising that
today's resurrection of Rail will possibly have another great impact on this
century.
Steam being used does not surprise me when you see what "chips" have done
for all other forms of power generation/ecology. But I would suspect that
the final package this new steam would arrive in will not resemble anything
you are visualizing in these discussions of A,Y&Js.

Fun thinking.

Oakie G Ford
IRONTON, OH

Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:03 PM