N&W in 1907 -- Exposition Special

Sun Jun 1 13:57:59 EDT 2008

Hello,

A bit of info about "Schooler Hill" in the posts from Sun 6/01/08 5:26 AM caught my attention.

-----
"... It's interesting that Radford was a station stop. The old high-grade line over Schooler Hill had been abandoned in 1901, so that would have required the special to back up between Walton and Radford on both eastbound and westbound trips. ..."

Bluefield Daily TelegraphJuly 17, 1907
Gordon Hamilton
-----

Always knew the "old high-grade line" followed what is now Route 600 in Pulaski Co. (VA) from Fairlawn northward toward Dry Branch, but never knew where Schooler Hill was. My great-grandfather was quoted in the Powhatan Arrow article (May '46 N&W Mag.) as remembering when "G's were the biggest locomotives..., and pushers had to be used to get up Schooler Hill...".

Well, was back home for a visit in April, and noticed a street sign into some (relatively) new apartments that said "Schooler Hill Drive". About 1/2 mile north of Rt. 600 / Rt. 114 intersection, which would have been the highest elevation on that section.

What I'd like to find now would be track maps from 1860-1901 showing the path of the track from the "old bridge" at Radford burned during the war and Schooler Hill. Page 5 of the "Class J" book published in 2000 shows a photo from 1887 showing the re-built bridge. But I can only guess at the path of the line between those two points.

Vince Albert.