Electrics, was Re: Steam (NW Mailing List)

Mon Jun 2 16:18:42 EDT 2008

I generally agree that skimping on infrastructure is poor policy in
the long run. However, my comments were in the context of government-
funded electrifications in the US (and Europe) which are somewhat
"gold-plated", which is appropriate, given gov't's' lower cost of
capital and the uncertainties of gov't maintenance subsidies. You
don't need 125 mph overhead line equipment for a freight RR.

OTOH, I don't really know how much could be saved in OHL construction
by designing it for a max speed of 80 or so. I read years ago the
British Rail had a successful design of simple trolley wire (no
catenary support) that was good for 60 MPH, and pantograph design has
evolved since then. (On the third hand, the mass of the catenary
messenger wire cuts down on the need for feeders, etc.)

One good side effect of the limitations of electrification in super-
heavy-haul service might be to deter US RRs' historic tendency to run
enormous trains at low speeds thereby making them uncompetitive in
the general or high-value freight market.

pete groom