Frequencies for the Scanner

Tue Jun 3 14:02:24 EDT 2008

I put the frequencies that I know of for the NS and CSX tracks around Marion
on to the railfan info that we just posted to the website convention
section.

For those who use scanners there are a number of frequencies in use as the
territory we are going to be in used to be predominantly Conrail and
B&O/CSX. Thus, CSX uses some old Conrail channels for some routes and used
some of the CSX/ Chessie/ B&O frequencies for others. If you intend to
'wander far afield', you would do well to do some homework and identify via
the internet what radio frequencies are in use where on the new systems.
Note that we will see three 'older' routes in and around Marion on CSX, the
ex- Big Four/ NYC/ ERIE forming the Beeline by the station, the Hocking
Valley/C&O/CSX on the west side Columbus to Toledo and about 25 miles to the
west the ex-T&OC Western Branch/CSX Columbus to Ridgeway to Toledo.

With the CR purchase CSX made connections at Sydney to connect the old B&O
Toledo (northbound) to the Beeline (eastbound), At Ridgeway (all four ways
now, I think) and at Marion itself in the northwest corner of the HV and
Beeline. CSX has four trains a day that make that turn at Marion.

NS for the most part stayed with the ex-N&W/NS frequencies and the CR
frequencies for the new territories.

For the Sandusky Line 161.190 is the road channel, 160.440 is used for the
Lake (NKP) side and 160.250(the old Southern channel) gets used for yards
and such.

It is a good idea to bring your lawn chair along so you can sit on the
platforms at Marion. Just watching the trains go by is a favorite pastime
there.

Gary Rolih

_____