Crosstie Lane in Parrott

Sat Jun 7 08:15:24 EDT 2008

Ron,

The turntable could have been used to turn the headend power to reverse direction after leaving Radford to proceed on the Schooler Hill line.

At New River there were multiple tracks so the engines could run around the train to the other end. It is also very possible that the locomotives could have left Radford running tender first to New River and then moving to the headend for the run toward the coalfields.

I have nothing that says how this operation was worked, but whatever it was, it was awkward and very expensive to do. The elimination of Schooler Hill was the first major line relocation of the new N&W Railway after 1896.

Bud Jeffries
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2008 8:39 PM
Subject: Re: Crosstie Lane in Parrott

Bruce,

I do have one tidbit regarding pusher service. According to old surveyor's notes in the Archives, a small turntable was located at New River at the end of the bridge along the line leading to Bristol. This may have been used for turning the helpers after coming over the hill. It is my suspicion that the helpers worked all the way over the hill and then worked back the other direction. Remembers that big power in that day were 4-6-0's and 2-8-0's.

Ron Davis