NW office framed wall scenery pictures (NW Mailing List)

Tue Jun 24 16:57:31 EDT 2008

Greetings from Dry Branch,
I have two of those pictures and can help with their identity. " A
Norfolk and Western Train Load of Fuel Satisfaction in Virginia" is on the New River
near Parrott Va., train heading eastbound, Dry Branch at the base of the left
side mountain. No doubt about it, I live here and have compared the skylines,
contours, track layout, a few of the surviving houses across the river,
(McCoy), and they all match exactly. " A Norfolk and Western Fast Freight Train in
Virginia" is also on the New River at the old Perrisburg, Va station. I have
an old unretouched photograph postcard of the same view, identified on the
back. I've explored the area and it has changed quite a bit mainly the old Rt. 460
bridge has been replaced and relocated slightly upstream, alot of the
buildings are gone and/or are obscured by tree growth, but the mountain overlooking
Perrisburg looks the same as does the river and track layout. I've also seen
one view of a "J" pulling a passenger train along the New River from the same
series, it looks to have been photographed from the same location as the coal
train only looking east instead of west. This year I'm going to find that spot
and take some pictures I believe it's near the site of the old Pulaski
Anthracite Coal Co. tipple, (Parrott Mines). Hope this helps a little.
Chuck Speicher