new, old 1218 video on YouTube

Tue Jul 1 23:08:09 EDT 2008

Sam,

There have been several name changes. In 1925 American Gas & Electric
(AG&E) bought Appalachian Power Co. (APCO) and merged it with others in 1926
to form Appalachian Electric Power Company (AEPCO), but in 1958 AG&E decided
to rename itself American Electric Power Company (AEPCO) so it had to change
the name of the local utility back to Appalachian Power Company (APCO).
Clear?

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 8:42 PM
Subject: Re: new, old 1218 video on YouTube

> To be even pickier, Rev Jim, it was most likely an APCO truck belonging to

> Appalachian Power Company, the subsidiary of AEPCO (American Electric

> Power

> Company) that operates the Glen Lyn power plant.

> As a footnote, several years ago AEPCO decided to do away with all the

> regional subsidiary names and the APCO label was removed from everything,

> including the trucks. Then, two or three years ago they revived the

> Appalachian Power Company name and it's back on the trucks and on the old

> headquarters building on Franklin Road in Roanoke. I never stopped making

> my checks out to APCO, and they never had any trouble cashing them.

> Sam Putney

>>> branches

>>> and we drug them off of the road. We were so disappointed at getting

>>> caught

>>> in the slide. We just knew we had missed the train pulling in to

>>> Bluefield. But as