Farewell to Steam on the N&W

Fri Jul 4 09:24:58 EDT 2008

I am reminded every time I mount a long, black locomotive which belches
black smoke and numerous noises, some more pleasant than others.
Unfortunately, no modern diesel, no matter how shiny and new and
powerful, can ever take the place of a proper locomotive. A stubby
plastic reverser is a poor substitute for a Johnson bar, and a conductor
a poor substitute for a fireman as companion (no offense to your son,
Jimmy; I've worked with him, and thing highly of him).

What I found especially interesting about this post, however, was that
268 diesels were considered enough to handle all the traffic on the
system. Compare this with NS today, which has several thousand units,
and almost all of then with much higher horsepower than any available in
1958.

Kenneth Rickman