Steam Question on the Shenandoah Division

Wed Jul 9 07:46:43 EDT 2008

"an N&W J and A could operate over the Shenandoah Division as long as a ATC equipped locomotive was placed in the lead."

Mason,
I can understand this, however ( and not to be argumentative ), it just doesn't make a lot of sense. Why would you want to tack an M on the front of an A or a J and take it up the road? Two engines and two engine crews just for a few cars ( in the case of the J replacing the K )?
Sadly Eddie is not around anymore to ask for any clarification, but, I tend to believe what he told me in that the A or J alone, could be run under the Supt.'s authority.
I don't think that I have ever seen anything in a rule book or timetable that would cover this situation. I'm open to discussion.
Jimmy Lisle