Ike "Special"

Fri Jul 11 13:30:07 EDT 2008

Gordon:

Good job on the "Ike Special" details.

I reported this once before, but it seems fitting to recall that the
Roanoke-Peterson segment FLEW right through Bedford, to the dismay of Co
A (116th Inf, 29th Div) survivors of the D-Day Normandy landings (with
devastating losses of Bedford's Co A National Guard contingent, in the
lead wave) assembled at the Bedford station with many town and county
people to greet Ike. Ike did appear at the platform on the last car and
waved as the train sped through town, clearly unaware of the
significance of the opportunity presented for a commander's words to a
town whose WW II sacrifice was so deep.

Someone in Bedford should have given advance notice to the Eisenhower
campaign about Bedford's D-Day losses. Perhaps the attempt was made,
with the campaign dropping the ball. In any case, someone in the
campaign failed in getting the homework straight. The N&W was not
responsible for prepping the campaign, but I have to wonder if anyone,
in reviewing the Roanoke forward schedule, caught the omission of a,
say, five minute Bedford stop for an appointment with history.

Frank Gibson