Last passenger train at Radford

Tue Aug 12 14:22:48 EDT 2008

I believe the last regular passenger trains were 17 and 18 between Bristol
and Roanoke-Lynchburg and on to Washington, DC and beyond on 30 April 1971.
AMTRAK took over the next day, and the Bristol to Roanoke as well as the
Pocahontas Norfolk to Cincinnati trains were not included. There were a lot
of newspaper accounts of the last trains on the N&W in the Bristol
Herald-Courier and Roanoke Times newspapers. A Bristol newspaper account I
have in a photo album is a story by a reporter who rode on the last
eastbound that left Bristol that morning at 7 a.m.

Mike Jackson

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 11:15 AM, NW Mailing List
<nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org>wrote:

> Does anyone on the list have any information on the last scheduled

> passenger train through Radford? How about any excursion trains through

> there in the 1969-1974 time frame?

> The N&WHS has an inquiry for this information for a regional historical

> article.

> Gary Rolih

> "info"

Michael K. Jackson
Amateur Radio Operator: KI4OJO
Newsletter Editor, Watauga Valley NRHS
Websites: I Remember WKPT: http://wkpt1400tribute.tripod.com/
East TN/SW VA Railfan Pages
http://etenn.swvirginiarailfans.googlepages.com/home
KI4OJO and KI4PWN Amateur Radio Stations,
http://ki4ojomichael.googlepages.com/amateurradiostationski4ojoandki4pwn

Betty S. Jackson, RN
Amateur Radio Operator: KI4PWN
Secretary, Watauga Valley NRHS

"The problem with talking in circles is that it's impossible to find a
point," Alfred E. Neuman, Perennial Presidential Candidate