Last N&W diesel heading to scrap (NW Mailing List)

Mon Aug 18 23:15:26 EDT 2008

> "I know now how the people who tried to save the last Y6bs felt.."

> Unlike the Y6b's the Dash 8's were a bunch of junk. Good riddance and a much better fit for my impromptu "Rails to Reefs" program. Create a Reef...Sink a U-Boat!

> Jimmy Lisle

Sooner or later, people are going to have to realize that there are generations of individuals who have grown up never seeing a steam locomotive in true use... while you might not care for the newer generation of motive power, the key to getting this generation interested in railroad history at all is to show them something they can relate to. I'm fairly certain there were plenty of steam locomotives that were abysmal failures in the operating world, yet for there uniqueness and contribution to history, should have been saved (the VGN Triplex for example)

> What is the status of the skeleton E units stuck up in the middle of you know where? Are all of the parts still around to fix them up? Now, they are something worth saving!

> Jimmy Lisle

With scrap at record prices, they're worth more as such... besides, there' plenty of E running around :P

Seriously, the museum intends to use the Wabash unit (10,000th EMD built) as trade fodder to St. Louis to get the Y6 to the VMT, and keep the RF&P unit.

Robb Fisher
RFDI