Last N&W diesel heading to scrap

Tue Aug 19 11:27:56 EDT 2008

Not quite in the "Small World" category, but I spent almost two years in the Army at Fort Monmouth on the NY&LB. I'd try to get into NY about two weekends a month to sightsee, take advantage of all the wonderful show and sports tickets available free at the USO and to ride trains and subways. I rode suburban trains on most lines of the NYNH&H, NYC, EL, CNJ, etc. and a few on the LI. Using a map for reference, I rode into or through every station on the NY subway system at that time.

To get to NY I could walk from the East Gate of the Fort Monmouth to Little Silver to catch one of the few NY&LB trains that stopped there, or I could catch a bus at the East Gate to Red Bank and have my choice of PRR or CNJ trains operated jointly on the NY&LB. Motive power that I remember consisted of PRR K4 steam engines (sometimes double-headed) on the Broker, with Baldwin shark nose diesels on some other trains. The trains to NY's Penn Station switched to GG1 electrics at South Amboy. The Broker continued on behind steam to the PRR's Exchange Place Jersey City ferry terminal. Some CNJ trains used FMs, and ran to the CNJ ferry terminal in Jersey City. This is from memory, as I took few pictures, unfortunately, and my recollection is subject to correction.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 11:57 PM
Subject: Re: Last N&W diesel heading to scrap

Hi Jerome
I'm a Norfolk native who lives on the NY&LB (Red Bank)! Small world.
Tom Cosgrove
Jerome Crosson (NWHS member who grew up along the NY&LB)

--
Tom Cosgrove
N2VFK