Melborn

Sat Aug 23 10:33:36 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 7:10 AM, Roger wrote:

> On the back cover of the current Arrow magazine is a CTC board (appearing

> in an N&W advertisement reprint). It shows Radford, and to the left (west I

> assume) is Melborn siding. Appears to be around mileposts 303.3 to 307.2 or

> so. Where is Melborn?? (I'm guessing its some distance west of Radford on

> the Bristol line?) Is siding still there?

>From my N&W web site:

Station Miles from Telegraph Notes
Radford
East Radford 0 CN
Radford 1.2 R Changed to JC in TT #12
W. End Double Track 1.5 JC Removed in TT #12
New River 2.3 NR
Melborn 5.4 --
Dublin 8.0 BN Station is still standing

So if JC is currently MP 302.1, Melborn would be at MP 306 and Dublin is at
MP 308.6. According to one set of track charts, the siding doesn't exist any
more, but there is a small break in the grade in the climb from New River to
Wysor. My notes are not at home, but I believe that info is from early 1900s
timetables.

Bruce in Blacksburg