Pemberton

Tue Dec 16 14:54:02 EST 2008

For C&O trains to get into Winding Gulf, they had to cross VGN at
Pemberton. In April 1958 I was in this depot with my brother and
Jim EuDaly talking to operator about lineup. Pemberton depot was
maintained by the VGN and the agent-operator was a VGN employee. Mr.
Wood , the agent, was neighbor to my uncle E. W. Huddleston in
Beckley, a C&O conductor in the Raleigh coal district. The
"diamond" at Pemberton was protected then by a tilting target
signaL, as I recall. When i was last there in the 1980s, the
building and the signal masts were gone. C&O (CSX?) trains at that
time were still using their own tracks into the Gulf. A CSX
shifter from Stone Coal Jct. showed up while i was there. Instead
of a tilting target signal, its movement was governed by a standard
highway stop sign on a post. - Gene Huddleston