High Bridge

Sat Jan 31 11:50:13 EST 2009

This is image ns3144 in the Va. Tech image database (page: http://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/search.php), N&W negative Neg#12963-B, and the accompanying information is that it is No. 3 crossing High Bridge, Aug. 1929. The negative number is clearly visible in Prince's book, but apparently has been deleted in the photo that McMahan is selling.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2009 12:20 AM
Subject: High Bridge

I was just surfing the web and came across a picture of High Bridge with a passenger train on it. It appears to be the same image as the one on page 81 of Richard Prince's book, Norfolk & Western Railway.

The web site I found it on is Robert McMahan Photography.
http://www.mcmahanphoto.com/lc1454--antique-steam-train-on-trestle-bridge-1946-photo.html

The sad thing is that the caption makes no mention of the N&W. It just says it is an "Antique Steam Train on Trestle Bridge 1946" and it credits the "Office of War Information, image LC1454". This date contradicts the date listed in Prince's book which is given as 1929. I wonder which date is correct?

Jerry Kay, Portsmouth, Va.