A1 Peppercorn Pacific TORNADO

Thu Feb 5 02:40:39 EST 2009

Great stuff from markku.kastinen at kolumbus.fi

I've also just had the latest update from the A1 Steam Loco Trust (I'm a
covenanter, so have made a small contribution to the £3M building costs).

Tornado will be named at York Station Feb 19th, and public tours are
continuing - Feb 7th, hauling the 'Talisman' from Darlington to London
Kings Cross, and the 'Yorkshire Pullman' April 18th, from London Kings
Cross to York and the National Railway Museum.

Full details of the project are at http://www.a1steam.com/

From my late November posts:

May like to know that Tornado successfully trialled on the UK East Coast
Mainline this week, from York to Newcastle.

*Thirsk station, a Tuesday evening in November. Why is the down platform
of the North Yorkshire station full of silently expectant people? Why
have people brought their children and grandchildren, and why are they
setting up elaborate photo tripods?*

Out of the darkness, a whistle is heard - shrieking joyfully, again and
again. A train thundering up the line from York.

In seconds, it is all over. A cool grey shape, smoke from its funnel, a
line of carriages, mostly dark, the whistle again and again, and a
diesel loco on the end - just a passenger on this trip.

There's some marvellous video coverage on youtube - see
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aWnCldAMORA for example.

This was not the first trial, though the first I believe at 75 MPH.

NW Mailing List wrote:

> Check-out this British Steam Locomotive project:

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7865518.stm

> Doing in Britain what can't be done in the USA. Now this would be a REAL Trans-Dominion Express!

<snip>

--
Please help me support the Pirate Castle at
http://www.justgiving.com/dominicpinto