Roanole Coal Tower and wash rack

Sat Feb 14 17:13:44 EST 2009

Those facilities were not at Roanoke Shops. They were at Shaffers Crossing, where locomotives operating out of Roanoke were serviced, and where a large roundhouse facility existed. It's several (the experts can tell you exactly how many) miles out Shenandoah Avenue from downtown Roanoke in the midst of the Roanoke Yard.

EdKing
Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2009 12:05 PM
Subject: Roanole Coal Tower and wash rack

I was reading through a copy of "N&W: Giant of Steam" last night, and while looking at the aerial photo of the Roanoke shops on page 48, I did not see the large coaling tower seen in several of Link's photos and elsewhere. I had always assumed (yeah, a dangerous path to walk) that it was in the area that is now east of Williamson Drive. Based on the photo, it is not where I thought it was, or it is obscured in the photo.

So, my question to the experts is: Just where were the coaling tower, the wash bays and the water plugs?

Thanks in advance.

John C. Abbott

Note:
No Trees were harmed in sending this message.
However, some electrons along the way were inconvenienced.