Any Milk Trains on the N&W?

Sun Feb 15 10:41:43 EST 2009

I'll also take exception to Cinnci being the only "large city". Norfolk
may never have grown larker than 290,000, but if you include
the southside Tidewater metro, the four cities are over a million & N&W
passes through two of the four (plus Suffolk), and Portsmouth has the
Beltline.
(Course when my Great-Aunt was married to the peanut farmer, Suffolk was
only the county seat of Nansemond Cty.)
Tom Cosgrove

NW Mailing List wrote:

> Presumably, if there weren't any large-scale milk producers on the

> system, there wouldn't be any reason for a milk train originating on

> the N&W.

> Peter Prydderch, Stockport, UK

> Subject: Re: Any Milk Trains on the N&W?

> Date: Saturday, 14 February, 2009, 7:55 PM

> I purchased a milk can that has the N&W stamp on the bottom. Don Mills

> Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 9:27 PM

> Subject: Re: Any Milk Trains on the N&W?

> > I have a milk can which has a tag that reads "Return to: O.(?)M.

> Shannon, Saltville, VA. N&W". I have seen one or two others from other

> locations on the N&W.

> > Jeff Sanders

> > Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 2:49 PM

> > Subject: Re: Any Milk Trains on the N&W?

> >> Mark,

> >> I have never known of dedicated milk cars or milk trains in N&W

> service. N&W did handle dairy products in express service on regular trains,

> including those on the Shenandoah Division. I have a photo of mixed train #14

> in Hagerstown on the last day of steam operations, and there is a baggage wagon

> in the picture loaded with milk cans. There has also been a 1957 photo

> published in one of the magazines of a wagon load of milk cans at Roanoke

> station.

> >> Rick Morrison

> >> Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 10:33 AM

> >> Subject: Any Milk Trains on the N&W?

> several Milk Car models recently: did any Milk Cars run on N&W? If so, where

> (Shenandoah line?) and when?

Tom Cosgrove
N2VFK
NREMT-B