Virginian and N&W in 1909

Wed Feb 25 16:20:00 EST 2009

How well I remember! My father's office was on the East end of the top floor, and I would go there after Sunday School each week to meet him for our trip to the roundhouse. In those days, he had to work a half day on Sunday. As to the arrangement being the best office building on the system, by the late 1940's it was most inadequate. But they moved his old desk into the new building. I don't think they moved the spittoons. Jim Nichols
------
------

Making Offices of Hotel
Work has already been commenced on the re-modeling of the old Bluefield Inn, which will be reconstructed and converted into the general offices of the Norfolk and Western. The improvements on the building will amount to about $10,000 and when completed it will be one of the best arranged office buildings on the system. When the new offices are finished and the various departments transferred to it, the company will commence to tear down the present building known as the division office, as it has long been inadequate and out of date.

[I am attaching image ns4630 from the Va. Tech image database showing the Bluefield Inn, before conversion into offices. The passenger station is across Princeton Ave. on the right. This view is before streetcar tracks were laid along Princeton Ave. in 1904.]
------

Gordon Hamilton