M. J. Dunlap - agent-operator at Boyce

Fri Feb 27 03:29:36 EST 2009

February 27, 2009

Hello, Abram:

I stopped by the Clarke County court house yesterday to look up the will for Morris J. Dunlap. I've determined that he moved to Boyce in 1896 and died in early 1929. Presumably, he was station agent-operator at Boyce the entire time, up to his death. Among the estate settlement records, the N&W made a payment on May 28, 1929, after his death which I assume was his final paycheck; it was for $81.15.

The list of heirs as of April 23, 1929, included William Henry Dunlap who was 39 years old and living in Roanoke. I need to find a Roanoke City Directory to look up his address and employment. Richard F. Dunlap would have been born around 1922 or 1923 in order to have graduated from high school in 1940. So, William would have been about 33 in those years. While it is still a tenuous hypothesis, it is possible that Morris J. Dunlap could have been Dick's grandfather. It will be interesting to learn if William also worked for the N&W.

Best wishes,

Frank
f_scheer at yahoo.com