VIRGINIA DIVISION HOPPER TRAINS

Thu Mar 26 09:05:42 EDT 2009

Lord, I hope not! It's hard enough for us poor Southern boys to get
across that line as it is. The last thing we need is more traffic.

There is at least one train I know of which leaves Roanoke, and will go
either direction, depending on tonnage. The preferred routing is over
the Blue Ridge, but they will run the V line if they are too heavy. The
V line has much gentler grades. On the other hand, the track speed is
only 40 mph, with a number of 35 and 30 mph curves, which means that you
cannot make the same schedule as is possible on the Blue Ridge. Also,
there are a number of tunnels which are too low to allow double stack
trains on the V line, making at least two reasons why the pig trains, at
least, will continue to run over the Blue Ridge.

Kenneth Rickman

Kenneth Rickman - krickman1 at carolina.rr.com
Salisbury, NC

"Once admit that human life can be guided by reason, and all possibility
of life is annihilated" - Leo Tolstoy