Wood Preservation

Mon Apr 13 11:31:01 EDT 2009

My father taught me years ago the value of tung oil for protecting wood
from water. Unlike varnish, it penetrates the wood instead of forming a
protective coating.

As an example or it's effectiveness, my family likes to re-tell the
story of the time a certain young boy (who shall remain nameless, of
course) who came running into the living room announcing "Daddy, the
drawers hold water!" Dad's cabinetry skills are pretty good, but
bathroom drawers are not designed to be watertight. Nevertheless, they
survived entirely unscathed.

Linseed oil might work similarly, but it would have to be a rather thin
mixture of oil and thinner.

Kenneth Rickman

Kenneth Rickman - krickman1 at carolina.rr.com
Salisbury, NC

"Once admit that human life can be guided by reason, and all possibility
of life is annihilated" - Leo Tolstoy