NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 42, Issue 22

Mon Apr 13 13:07:25 EDT 2009

Hi, Dave -

For this question I'll take off my railroad hat and put on my "Old House
Owner" hat.

While good and strong for railroad use, Oak is widely acknowledged to be a
lousy species to use in home exterior construction. It rots far more quickly
than a species such as Fir. Back in the day, I suspect that its greater
strength in operating service mattered more than its relative lifespan. But
on your restored caboose the opposite holds true: I bet the heaviest load
will be wide gauge visitors.

So! If you want to stick with oak for authenticity, the thing to do is to
prime it with an epoxy finish. One brand that advertises heavily in the
house restoration magazines is Abatron, Inc. Their
LiquidWood<http://www.abatron.com/cms/buildingandrestorationproducts/woodrestorationmaintenance/liquidwood.html>product
be the thing to use as a primer coat. (Doing this -before- mounting
the beams will give you the greatest protection against moisture.)

Hope this helps!
- Marty Swartz
"In an old house, the only thing that works is the owner."