Wood Preservation

Tue Apr 14 06:21:48 EDT 2009

Dave,

Tung oil (not tung oil varnish, which is also available) does not form a
finish, per se, but rather is purely a penetrating oil. In fact, I was
always taught to wipe the surface down to remove any residual oil after
30 minutes or so. For 3/4" oak (the thickest I have personal experience
with) 2 applications was more than sufficient.

As far as paint, I would assume that latex would have a problem
adhering, but oil based paints should be fine. Varnish adheres
amazingly well, so I expect paint would do the same.

Kenneth Rickman

Kenneth Rickman - krickman1 at carolina.rr.com
Salisbury, NC

"Once admit that human life can be guided by reason, and all possibility
of life is annihilated" - Leo Tolstoy