GRAHAM FURNACE LOCATION

Tue Apr 21 11:28:36 EDT 2009

You have it correct Gordon. The furnace itself was located over near the base of the hill which can be discerned using the Google Earth service. I was a frequent prowler inside the property when Platnick Brothers was an active company, there were vestigees of the furnace foundation mixed in among the scrap piles. A mr. Morris Kauffman who was a neighbor of mine in Bluefield,West Virginia was a member of the family (cousin or uncle of the owners) and a fantastic Machinist. Mr.Kauffman was also in charge of the crane that moved about the tracks inside the junkyard and I was allowed to ride in its cab with him when he was loading-out scrap into gondola cars or moving the scrap into consolidated piles for additional sorting. The crane had an electromagnetic pick-up most of the time but there was also a clam-shell grapple available for use if warranted. Fun days and good memories.

Dave Braum dcbraum at yahoo.com