Connection between the sailing bugeye Edna E. Lockwood & the Norfolk & Western Railway?

Tue Apr 21 20:15:09 EDT 2009

WAUGH’S BLUE BOOK
OF LEADING
HOTELS and RESORTS
OF THE WORLD
An Authentic Reference Book issued yearly for the purpose of
affording needed information to those who travel in any latitude for
Business or Health, to escape the heat of summer or the cold of
winter, to engage in scientific research or to enjoy the beauties of
nature and the marvels of art.
This publication is also peculiarly fitted to promote the
interests of prominent hotel keepers by bringing
their houses to the favorable notice of
a most desirable class of patrons
PRICE, #5.00 PER COPY ----- EXPRESS PAID
VOLUME I.
W. WALLACE WAUGH & SON, Publishers
327 Old South Building
WASHINGTON AND MILK STS., BOSTON, MASS., U. S. A.
COPYRIGHTED BY W. WALLACE WAUGH And SON. 1907
By transfer The White House March 3rd, 1913
RAILROADS p. 287
Norfolk & Western Railway
Through Pullman Service from New York to Roanoke,
Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis, Birmingham, New Orleans
TAKE TRAINS AT DEPOTS OF PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD
NEW YORK & NEW ORLEANS SHORT LINE
as the name implies, is the shortest line between the Imperial Metropolis of
the East and the Queen City of the South, that charming city which commands
the Mexican Gulf.
The Short Line crosses the States of New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland,
Virginia, the northwest corner of Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi. Thus it
may justly be said to traverse that section of the United States which is
most attractive to the home-seeker, the health-seeker, the investment-seeker
and the general tourist.
Starting at sea-level and very gradually ascending to an elevation of over
2,500 feet, it crosses two ranges of mountains, the Blue Ridge and the Alle-
ghenies, through the very heart of their wonderful mineral spring and summer
resort region; dips into numerous valleys of unsurpassed fertility, and
skirts the vast bituminous coal fields of Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee
and Alabama, where so many enormous fortunes have been made, and so many
more are now in the making or awaiting the right men.
In fine, the Short Line is the popular highway of travel between the
commercial centers of the section it traverses, and in its appointments for
the comfort, convenience and pleasure of its patrons it has few equals and
no superior.
DINING CAR SERVICE. — Between New York and Washington meals are served in
Pennsylvania R. R. dining cars, table d'hote, at a uniform price of $1.00 a
meal. Better meals cannot be had at any hotel.
Between Washington and New Orleans meals are served a la carte in
observation dining cars at moderate prices.
THE SHENANDOAH VALLEY ROUTE
Made famous by Luray Caverns, Natural Bridge, and its beautiful mountain,
river, and valley scenery.
THE NORFOLK ROUTE
A delightful sea voyage to Norfolk, and thence via Norfolk & Western Railway
is a restful outing.
FOR FULL INFORMATION CALL ON OR ADDRESS
Boston, Mass., Old South Building, C. P. Gaither, New England Agent
New York, 398 Broadway, L. J. Ellis, General Eastern Passenger Agent
Philadelphia, Offices of Pennsylvania Railroad
Baltimore, 107 East Baltimore Street, Thomas E. Barrett, Agent.
'Washington, Bond B'ld'g, 14th Street and New York Avenue, E. J. Lockwood,
Agent
W. B. BEVILL, General Passenger Agent )
N. D. MAHER, General Manager Roanoke, Virginia
L. E. JOHNSON, President )
wrote:

> It does seem farfetched.

> Applying Occam's Razor (explanations should not be multiplied upon) here

> would be prudent. You have made many assumptions to come to the possible

> conclusion that the N&W put money into this ship.

> First of all, if the ship did not carry any coal, why would the N&W wish

> fund such a vessel? The N&W never operated any sort of coastal shipping

> company nor seemed to have any financial interest in a shipping line in

> those days. And if the N&W wanted to aid the shipment of coal by coastal

> shipping companies, wouldn't they have invested in the shipping company

> rather than a single ship?

> The N&W was busy establishing bituminous coal as a product right then and

> had little money to spare on something not directly related to the

shipment

> and selling of bituminous coal into the energy marketplace via their

> railroad. They were working on the Ohio Extension then, the cost of which

> put the company into bankruptcy in the Crash of 1893.

> As to a record, only an annual report for that time period would still

exist

> to show a 'line item' such as spending money on a ship. I don't recall

ever

> seeing such an entry in the early annual reports.

> Gary Rolih

> Secretary N&WHS

Chesapeake Soaps
8992 S Bayview Dr