branch line equipment

Tue May 12 14:38:53 EDT 2009

Jim,

Glad to help. I also have a modeling interest in Pokey operations prior to
1960 and have started collating info gradually collected over time.
Apparently for its size, Eckman was a zoo, so there could be a lot to sort
out. I can post excerpts of interest as the material gels. Even Byrd
Yard/North Fork was busy enough that when the passenger run returned, the
crew found it more expedient to "jerk 'em by" to get around their train.

Grant Carpenter

> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:47:24 -0400

> Subject: Re: branch line equipment

> reply-type=original

> Garnt,

> Thank you very much for the information on the North Fork branch

passenger

> ops. I am also interested in the mine runs and operations Byrd/Eckman.

My

> paternal grandfather was a motorman at Zenith and lived in Crumpler. My

> Mom's family lived at McDowell worked Greenbriar. (One of these years)

I'd

> like to model this area in some detail and would appreciate any/all

> information you can provide.

> Thanks again,

> Jim Cochran

> dcochran116 at roadrunnmer.com

Tug

> > and Dry Fork passenger runs, but M #396 or #439 was used on the North

Fork

> > Hollow passenger run. Equipment on the North Fork run was one coach

and a

> > baggage/coach. Two round trips a day (previously five), three on

> > Saturday,

> > they pulled up the branch to Crumpler, running around the train at Coach

> > Siding and backed out. Kids rode to school in North Fork on a pass for

$2

> > a month. Towards the end anyway, the extent of mixed traffic was a

50-ton

> > gon of sand every Monday to Cherokee that was shoved ahead of the

engine.

> > The crew worked out of Eckman where the equipment was serviced

(including