Virginian in 1909--A good citizen

Thu May 14 21:44:49 EDT 2009

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
September 5, 1909

CONTRACT LET FOR SHOPS AT PRINCETON
------
Virginian Railway Declines Offer of Freedom From Taxation, Wishing to Pay Its Share for Improvements

The following letter, which comes from headquarters of the Virginian Railway to the mayor and council of the county seat, leaves no room for further doubt about the shops and the position which the Virginian takes in regard to the building of Princeton:

Hon. Geo. W. Lazenby, mayor; J. E. T. Smith, recorder; H. G. Thorn, councilman; I. F. Saunders, councilman; R. C. Honaker, councilman
Princeton, West Virginia

Gentlemen:
On the 6th day of April 1909, the council of the city of Princeton adopted resolutions that if the Virginian Railway located, built and operated the general shops at Princeton, the said railway company would be relieved from the payment of all municipal taxes for a period of ten years.
You were kind enough to hand me a copy of this resolution which I duly acknowledged on April 19, last.
The executive committee of the Virginian Railway Company has authorized the starting of shops at Princeton and contracts have recently been let covering the erection of five important buildings, and the executive committee after duly considering the generous offer contained in the resolution hereinbefore quoted, desire me to thank the council of Princeton and you gentlemen personally for the offer contained in the above resolution, but to say to you that we think it better not to accept the said offer.
Princeton is a growing city and will grow very much more, and we are unanimously of the opinion that it is better policy for the railway company to pay its just and fair proportion of the municipal taxes necessary to enable the city to put in an adequate water and sewer system, pave the streets and make the necessary improvements demanded from time to time to properly protect the health and expand the business of the citizens of Princeton.
All the railway company wishes from Princeton is fair, reasonable treatment, and with that given us, I see no reason why our interests at Princeton should not grow and increase in a most satisfactory way to all concerned.
If you think it proper I have no objection to having this letter made public in order that the citizens of Princeton and Mercer county may fully understand our position in this matter.

Yours very truly,
RAYMOND DUPUY
------
[How many companies in modern times would have turned down a offer of no taxes if they would locate in a community? Some council initials and names as well as the date in April of the council resolution were blurred on the microfilm so the best interpretations are shown.]

Gordon Hamilton