Employee records, UTU records and more

Tue Jul 7 13:40:22 EDT 2009

Regarding the UTU and all the mergers ...

I have called them on old records as their offices are about 4 miles
away from where I live but getting a phone number and actually talking
to a real live person and not a recording was NOT E Z, let me tell
you. The person I spoke with who I think is one of the higher ups in
the UTU sounded a smidge interested but wasn't all enthusiastic in any
way shape or form.

In addition, tried to enter their building and I suspect you could get
into some CIA or NSA offices easier than getting in this one but at
least I have the idea to visit on my burner, somewhere ....

Here are a few ideas for tracking something down for relatives or
someone you desire to know more about and I wish you luck.

1) not just N&W employee magazines but various brotherhood magazines.
That was the UTU angle I was chasing for the Telegrapher Magazines
when the O.R.T. was independent many, many years ago. Try the BRT
employee magazines, if you can find them.
2) RRB -- Railroad Retirement Board records
3) The RR themselves, especially if the person drew a pension from the RR

These are a couple on a short list but you never know what might
sprout from an idea. Within the various railroads, their own
retirement systems might have something as well. However as already
suggested, after a certain period of time, many things get tossed.

The B&O RR Museum has many employee records which they will print out
a copy for someone, on request and for a fee. The cost holds whether
they find anything or not and like so many, you never know what you'll
find and what level of detail the records will have. Some may have
several pages and other just basic dates of service and any good deeds
or not so good things which got written up may be on them.

Good luck.

Feel free to contact me off-list and we can go into other details if you like.

Bob Cohen
ORL96782 at yahoo.com